Van Nicholas Amazon Rohloff titanium mixed touring bike
Van Nicholas bikes are custom built. Build yours with this configurator
The same robust adaptability and day-long comfort as our standard Amazon, but with the added benefit of fuss-free Rohloff performance and a belt drive option to keep you spinning further than ever. With a slightly lower top tube for ease of mounting.
- Frame: Amazon Mixed Rohloff
- Frame color: Hand Brushed Finish
- Front fork: VNT SLX Carbon
groups & brakes
- Group: Rohloff/Gates belt drive
- Drive train: Black; anodised coating
- Brakes: Shimano V-Brake - Rimbrake
wheels & tyres
- Wheel set: VNT hubs Exal EX19 rims
- Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 37mm
- Handlebar: VNT Alloy 2014 Flat
- Handlebar tape/grips: VNT Lock-On
- Stem: VNT Alloy 6061 Adjustable
- Headset: FSA Orbit
- Spacers: VNT Alloy
- Headset cap: -
seat post & saddle
- Seat post: VNT Alloy
- Seat post collar: VNT Alloy 6066
- Saddle: VNT Touring Leather
- Rear carrier: Tubus Cargo
- Mudguards: Curana CLite
Titanium's unique properties make it an excellent material for bicycle frame construction. Its high strength, low density, low modulus, excellent fatigue and corrosion resistance deliver a skeleton that is not only extremely strong and durable, but also incredibly lightweight.
Titanium does not break down, rust or corrode under any atmospheric conditions. Titanium is so resistant to corrosion it does not even need to be treated or painted. Now you know how magnificent a material titanium is to make bicycle frames with, doesn't it seem to shine just that little bit more?
How does it ride?
Similar to steel, titanium has an in-built flexibility, only it is more pronounced. Therefore it is ever so slightly 'springy', which means it can absorb road vibration before it reaches the rider (a titanium seat post more or less eliminates it). Consequently, you feel like you are gliding across tarmac, even when riding hard.
Nothing Beats Titanium
Unlike aluminium or carbon framesets, titanium will not snap in an accident. This is because like steel it gives a little. In fact, titanium is even more forgiving than steel, which is why its ride quality is so renowned. Also like steel it is incredibly strong. But it is lighter and it does not rust. This is one of the reasons why every Van Nicholas frame is guaranteed for the lifetime of its owner.
- Titanium is one of the most environmentally friendly metals.
- The combination of high strength and material formability gives titanium a ride quality that is second to none. It's stiff enough to prevent energy-loss through the tubing, but springy too, so road vibration is minimised enhancing comfort on long rides.
- Titanium lasts longer because fatigue life and corrosion resistance is better than any other material used for frame building in the world. How many non-titanium frames do you know of that are guaranteed for life?
- Titanium has excellent strength-to-weight and stiffness-to-weight ratios. Using thin walled 0.8/0.9mm titanium tubing guarantees good fatigue life without sacrificing ride quality.
- Every frame we make is custom drawn. Each tube set is designed to maximise strength and performance by using differing diameters of tubing, in addition to utilizing ovalization, and biaxial ovalized tubing.
NATIONWIDE DELIVERY OF FULLY ASSEMBLED ELECTRIC BIKES (INCLUDING CARGO BIKES) - 90€
You can get your bike fully assembled to your door for 90€ (flat fee). Please send us your Eircode.
DELIVERY OF UNASSEMBLED BIKES (EXCEPT CARGO BIKES) - FREE OF CHARGE
Bikes for Home Assembly will be shipped within 1-2 working days in a box with An Post. We recommend you get the bike professionally assembled.
If you prefer picking up the bike from the shop, we are open Tuesday - Saturday from 10am to 6pm. We would generally have the bike ready within 24 to 48 hours.
MORE ON OUR T&Cs here
If you want to buy this bike with the bike to work scheme, please send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org with the model of the bike you want, its size, its colour, and a list of accessories if any. We will then send you an invoice that will be processed by your employer.
More info on the bike to work scheme here